Thursday, May 29, 2008


Today, I was a pioneer. Not because I did anything brave or enduring, but because I was resourceful (I'm not sure why 'pioneer' came to mind, but I assume the pioneers were mighty resourceful when it came down to it. They probably put MacGyver to shame, even though Wikipedia describes him as "an incredibly resourceful secret agent."). So, I walked into the kitchen and beheld some overly-ripe bananas. Throw them away, you say? Never! I picked up the fruit, and decided to stop wasting and start resourcing (clever, right?). I made banana bread.

As I was letting the water run, I began to pat myself on the back, shuddering because of the icy air conditioning, and smiled for how inventive I am and what a resourceful (can't get enough of the word... 'resource' might start rivaling my love affair with commas...) person I am. I started thinking of how I could be even more resourceful. I mean, saving rotten bananas verses throwing them away was a step, but I needed something bigger. I resourced in my mind, what more resources I could resource and resourcing that I had resourced such a resource, I resourced that I could stop saying the word resource. I have come up with some ways I could single-handedly save the world.
  1. I am going to save soap by not using any. I will only use soap once a week on Saturdays, to ready myself for Sunday.
  2. I will always make banana bread, because it is so blessedly delicious. And because rotting bananas smell better when they're baking in the oven than when they are sitting in a fruit bowl, rotting.
  3. I will only check my email 46 times a day, rather than 18,988.
  4. I will sleep longer, thereby saving electricity. I won't have to turn on any lights if I go to bed at 6 pm and wake up at 10 am. Who am I kidding? Waking up at 10 am would not change my current habit of waking up at 10 am.
  5. I will only bath in the ocean or in our neighbor's swimming pool.
  6. I will gather leaves and fruit from the nearby trees, so we won't have to buy food. Everything we need is right outside our door!
  7. I will pick the neighbor's flowers, crush them, add some water, and make my own perfume. I used to do this as a child and I'm 99% sure that it works. Ask Carla (my best friend's mother); we used to always make 'perfume' for her and she always smelled good. I'm positive she was dousing herself in our homemade perfume. Positive.
  8. I will recruit honey bees in my backyard, luring them with delicious scents of banana bread. They will become my slaves and will make me honey, as well as protect and watch the house. I will have my own security system and will save on keys and locks.
  9. I will gather all my lose hair around the house (there is surprisingly a lot) and use it to stuff pillows and quilts. I will peddle my pillows and quilts to local tourists, who will buy the rarities and give me lots of money.
  10. Lastly, I will continue to not work, and save on gas that would be used to drive to what some people might call 'meaning,' or 'purpose.' A job is none of those things and anyone who disagrees probably has one. Can I just say, overrated?

7 comments:

Betsy Lee said...

Hey Courtney!!! I am officially blog-stalking you, just so you know. ;) Don't ask how I found your blog, but your posts are entertaining so I think I'll find my way back again. Oh, and I think you have genius ideas for being resourceful (crap, how do you spell?!) I'm stealing the idea of gathering up hair. I already have enough to make many many pillows since my hair is long. ;)

Shelli said...

I think you should know that I read this entire post and giggled at every single number. I tried to read it to my family out loud... they did not find it as funny. (Though my mom enjoyed the loose hair/peddling pillows and quilts idea.)

Courtney said...

Betsy?! Is that you?! You are more than welcome to blog-stalk me. Now invite me to see your blog so that I can see pics of your babies. Now.

Haylee said...

Betsy, invite me too. Even though I do have a random super target run in now and then, I would love to see yours.

Betsy Lee said...

You're invited. oicuralee.blogspot.com Come. Enjoy. That's an order!

Natalie Scott said...

VERY clever, Court! You always make me laugh, though I think several of these ideas are really good, resourceful ones that you should put into effect immediately!!

megship said...

Court, yeah, all of those ideas sound...well...pretty....resourceful! I feel honored that my kids made it on your blog! Maybe next time you see Dax he won't try to burrow a nail into your thigh.