Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A fist to the face...

Well, Memorial weekend has come and gone (not like I would notice a break from the work week -I don't have a work week. I just have a week) and we had our fun much like I'm sure you had, though probably not as much because I wasn't there.

We have friends in LA (yes, we have friends; they were originally Josh's friends but they saw the light and are now my friends and they think I am cooler than him and even ask if we can hang out without him. I told them that he would find out and be mad and punch a wall) and we made the best of it and stayed there for a night and had them stay here a night. It was seriously fun and we can't get enough Felix time. We did the fun stuff and played games where I won so everyone had a good time because no one got hurt. Although, Mari Ann came close to getting a fist in her delicate face when I thought for a brief second she might pull ahead, but she narrowly escaped when I won big time in Mexican Train. Lucky for her face. She really is pretty and it would be a shame to ruin it. Although, not so unlucky for every other girl because that would be one less girl prettier than the rest of us. I am only mildly competitive and only mildly kidding.

It got me to thinking though. I know that I have discussed with all three of you how finding a couple that both you and your spouse likes is like dating, but harder. There are more personalities to combine, more people to impress, and more awkward conversations to avoid. See, its great when you find that other couple that you both like. No, its more than great. Its a miracle because you have found your couple's soul mate. You say things like, "I think I knew you before this life" or "We were destined for each other; you want to punch people in the face when they win the game, too?" I think we found ours once (I won't tell you who they are; they would get uncomfortable about it and probably feel obligated to put out or something), but like most good things, they moved on. I was so sad, it was worse than breaking up with a boyfriend because it was like breaking up with two boyfriends. I went through all the stages of a split -I cried, ate a lot, felt bitter abandonment, and even thought about trying to get back together. It wouldn't have worked I suppose. They were too good for us.

Its really hard for me, since I generally don't like most people. Josh likes just about everyone and can have a good time with 'em all. We differ on this level, and I am so selective on who gets to be my friend (most people don't even want to and I don't want them anyway, so its usually a mutual understanding), that I prefer to be alone when it really comes down to it. I don't quite know why, but believe it has something to do with an elated ego or something. Haven't figured it out yet though. I'll let you know when I do.

There are several couples we absolutely love but everyone seems to be out of reach (we don't live next door to any of them). We have really come to like our landlords so maybe they can be in the running for the Robbins' Couple Crush. We will have to deliberate (when I say 'we' I mean me because Josh thinks I "make too much of things." He thinks I'm like, dramatic or something. Whatever). But I hope we can spend more time with the Felix's, even though they live almost 2 hours away. Maybe Mari Ann sensed my surging fist and doesn't want to come for fear of winning a game and getting seriously hurt, we'll just have to see.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blair and I call that our going steady couple. We have had a few in our day. Unfortunately it rarely works out because Blair only hangs out with people who hunt as a general rule and all of his friends are either A) drunks, B) not married, or C) married to really mature women who clash with my five year old mentality.

I get the same way with the other wives. We have made it a point to not play games with someone the first time we hang out because I start making threats to whoever I suppose is closest to winning.

Natalie Scott said...

Oh, Court, you are such an Asay, in every way. Most of us in this family, with age (I like commas too, by the way), have come to social one, normally preferring to be with people than by myself, however, that's changing as I get older. I really do relish my alone time, and hate to spend long periods of time with people I don't know well.

Laurel and Adam are one of the few couples we can both be with and enjoy a lot (because we don't have to accommodate one another..can just be "us"). The rest of them? A few hours, tops. Ryan and I tend to be a little exclusive, preferring to go out with ourselves than with other couples.

megship said...

Oh I completely understand what you are saying. We have been in search for a couple to date forever. What about this....you move back here and we will date you guys! I might even give you a good night kiss! But, unfortunately, I cannot let you win any games and I would also punch you in the face. I am pretty sure it would hurt you pretty bad considering my current condition....

Natalie Scott said...

Um, I just realized I accidentally erased a bunch of my comment. I think what I was trying to say is we Asays realize with age that we are not nearly as social as we grew up thinking we were. And that I am probably the most "true" social of the Asay sisters...

Sorry, I'm such a dork

rvasay said...

Oh come on----you are not introverts!
I like my alone time too----that is normal I think but Brittany likes to plan parties, Courtney invites people over for dinner as does Natalie and Meghan and you all have friends that you like alot. Introverts NEVER come out of their house---never talk to any one and hate conflict. YOu guys are not introverts! I think you are all about the same as me which I think is a happy way to be! I love you MOM

Steph said...

so --- pretty sure you were talking about us as the other couple you cried about -- esp. since you came up with stories like you were his second wife and he was gay to destroy our time out here in nc making friends......or maybe that is my ego talking because i assumed you liked us that much and we were that great to hang out with -- i like to think we are --- but then again, i do relaly long for the days when the 4 of us can hang out ---so anyways, let's plan on moving tot eh same state soon sometime eh? or a least the same side of the country. so i really miss you guys, and am a little jealous you have other friends, cuz i would like to think that we are the couple you crush on teh most.....and i think we had a couple crush back on you.....not think - know we did. anyways, glad you won the game....we are similar in that way -- i might have punched you for winning! i am only slightly competitive i think! ok -- ocd competitive - i drink competitive - even if it is in typing tests or antyhing else dumb and not really worth competing over -- i am compettive about it.

Shelli said...

Your new format turned out very nice. See, you didn't need me!

Mari Ann said...

Hey there cutie,

I didn't feel any fist. I had a great time this weekend. We will have to do more. Yes, the 2hours apart could get a bit scary-most of all if the gas prices go up-, but that will not stop us. We look forward to hangin out more. By the way our blog changed to marman-and-ike

Brett said...

Ummm. Mom don't talk about me like that in Courtney's BLOG. Start your own BLOG if you want to do that. I do have to say I almost punched one of my best friends in the face for shooting the moon on me during a game of hearts. That was before I was married and Christauna was freaked out. She was afraid to get in the car with me, I'm not sure why, she didn't make me lose at hearts :)

Natalie Scott said...

I'm sorta tired of mom being in denial.

Anonymous said...

I'm tired of Courtney getting all the comments! 10 comments! Everyone I know stinks.

Haylee said...

One time I almost thought we had a couple to date until we went to vegas with them. After that I was relieved to move far away and never see them. It is important not to get too excited about a couple until you really do know them. The dissapointment was unbearable once I saw their true side. (which really wasn't that bad, but definitely did not mesh with my likings... and I usually like people). Anyway... the point is, just as Courtney said. You evaluate these couples the same way you evaluate your future partner. There has to be a good fit. And I am with Vicky on this one, I know there are times that you just need to leave the Asay girls alone, but who have I been trying to immitate my whole life in my attempt to be social if not you guys. You need to be careful, because I may have some serious identity issues to deal with if I was wrong in the examples I followed. Plus, you are all very funny. Humor can not be wasted on introverts. Rock on, Vicky.

BAV said...

I am glad you are making new friends Court. You are to wonderful of a person to isolate yourself from the rest of the world. Miss you