Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Bithday Old Man!

Today is Josh's birthday, and following my family's example of extending a dedicatory blog to a loved one's birthday seems to be in order.

We started off the birthday bash on Friday, where I gave Josh all his beautifully wrapped presents. I'm not even kidding, I really wrapped them. The presents consisted of new bedsheets (he has some weird thing about sheets and them being clean...), a baby maglight (he really likes flashlights and when we first moved here, it nearly broke his heart when he couldn't find the flashlights. He was constantly stressed about it, regardless of the fact that we had no immediate need for them...), lots of his favorite candy that I happen to like also, gatorade, a board game (this is to show him my efforts of being social; you can't play boardgames by yourself...), and the best thing of all, a massage at a spa place. Josh always makes sly comments that he's never gotten a professional massage, to which I usually just ignore and think how he doesn't deserve one either, but I decided to try and be a nice wife for once and get him something he might actually want.

The next part of Josh's birthday came when I went an entire day without verbally abusing him. Just kidding. Sort of. Anyway, the real next part of his birthday was today, on his actual birthday. He woke up and went surfing with Jeff, our friend and neighbor. They stopped off on te way back at a favorite doughnut shop and got some bars and I so lovingly declined the one he brought back for me. He didn't realize it at the time, but that was just another gift to him from me. He gobbled that one all up, and we got ready for his next birthday adventure, sea kayaking with friends (I didn't take pictures; I'm not that dedicated to this blog). That was honestly fun and we saw seals and just paddled around La Jolla Cove. Don't think his birthday stopped there, because we hurried home and ran off to the ward party. You might not think a ward party to be birthday-related, but I didn't say that "we hurried home and I complained and moaned about having to see people from our ward outside of church while Josh rolled his eyes and got ready to drag me out by my hair to this ward festivity." That was another unsaid present to Josh; I went willingly and even faked a little enthusiasm when I didn't immediately punch the first person who said anything to me. To top it all off, we're going to get dessert tonight at some awesome place. I'm really good at birthdays.
But really, Josh is my best friend ever and even though he's ridiculously old, I love him. I'm glad he sticks it out with me since I'm not overly pleasant the majority of the time. We have so much fun together and both have big enough egos to endure the constant teasing. We never take each other too seriously and Josh always keeps me laughing. He is so good for me and is always forcing me out of my comfort zone, which is incredibly good for me. I love this guy so much, not even a sugar daddy offering me limitless amounts of spending could pull me away.
This picture was from another themed party, where you had to dress up as 'things that go together.' He was Britney Spears and I was paparazzi. I look disgusting.

7 comments:

rvasay said...

we love Josh!!! Happy Birthday to a great son-in-law! MOM

Alyssa/Jo said...

As always, I was entertained by your blog. You are too funny! Happy Birthday Josh!

Haylee said...

HAHA, oh man that Brittany spears thing is hilarious. You guys are brilliant. Also can I just say that sometims I wish I lived in your family, (yours and Josh's) so that I could sport the calle shirts that I love so much everyday. Jon is getting sick of me wearing the green one, pretty much everyday of my life. You know how much I love t-shirts. Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSH!!! I love you like my best friends husband and I agree that you are perfect for each other. You guys get the award for all time best couple. Even better than Brangelina. And don't think I am not coming back out there to surf again some day. I only did it once and now I am amazingly stuck with these cravings for it daily.

megship said...

Happy B-day, J-dog! I am so glad you are in our family, heck, I chose ya didn't I? You guys are a great couple and I miss you both like crazy! Josh, for your birthday, I would like you to get me that hoodie that Court is sporting in one of her last pictures.....oh wait. I guess I will buy you some gum when we are out there in 6 weeks!!!!!!

Natalie Scott said...

Happy Birthday Josh! Thank you for being a cool guy and making my sister be nice to people ;)

We're glad you're willing to be part of the family...we realize it's not easy being stuck with so many "mean" people!

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Josh!! Hope the massage was awesome. Kyle got me a massage gift card 2 yrs ago and I still haven't used it. Hi courtney :) I'm missing you in outdoor women's soccer right now.

Kera said...

Hey Courtney,
You probably don't remember me :) But we have some soccer history . . . Um, I think your team beat us for state our senior year, we went to russia together, and both played for good old UV at one point. Anyway. I found your blog somehow and thought it deserved a comment considering I laughed my head off. How old is your bubby anyway :)
um, ok, bye.