Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Take me out to the ballgame..."

So Josh and I went to a Padres game last night, and I have to say that I actually enjoyed it. Minus the fact that Josh kept pointing to every player on the field and claiming he could play that position. I started getting irritated and tried to convince him otherwise, but left field didn't bolster my argument any when he brought his sunflower seeds out to the field and continued to spit them out throughout the entire game. I mean, I've watched enough baseball in my life to figure it for boring (I can't believe baseball lovers have the gall to say that soccer is boring. Seriously. The outfielders took a total of 10 steps the entire game). You might agree, you might not. Either way, you're entitled. But I suppose the game wasn't typically boring since the stadium was filled with beer and people drinking the said beer. The combination of beer plus people equals an incredible amount of obnoxious behavior. Some of my favorite comments came from the drunk guys 3 rows behind us.

Drunk Guy #1: "You suck Romero!"
Drunk Guy #2: "Yeah Romero! You suck! Hit the ball before we trade you!"
Sober Guy: "Romero is pitching, not hitting."

I was equally impressed by the white-trash crowd sitting directly behind us. They made great commentary and I didn't have to worry about making jokes about them, since they were constantly yelling and making so much noise, they would never in this lifetime hear me.

White trash wife: "Whew! That boy Rodriguez is on fire! Someone get him a damn fire extinguisher!"

I think perhaps my favorite moment was at the end of the game (yes, we stayed the entire game... minus the first hour we missed because we were late. We weren't worried. We knew we weren't missing too much/any action). A woman appearing to be about 50 years in age, dressed very respectably, pointed up into the crowd, and shouted, "In your face! In your face!" Apparently, she was a Philly fan. I don't think the drunk guys were too offended, since they were too busy laughing and making crude gestures into the camera. Ah, yes. The glory of the drunks. I think I heard them singing.

"Take me out to the ballgame, take me out to the crowd!
Buy me some beer and more alcohol,
I don't care if I ever wake up!
Cuz its root root root for the Padres,
If they don't win I won't know
Cuz its one, two, three beers I'm out at the ol' ball game!"

11 comments:

Haylee said...

oooh... I love that jacket. Both of them really, but especially the girl one. Baseball games are fun for the atmosphere and definitely not for the actual "action" of the game. That's why people loved Manny from the red sox so much, because he always spiced up the game with weirdness, like peeing in the corner of left field, standing and pointing at a ball right in front of him for the center fielder to sprint over and get... yeah... those are true stories, but it definitely made for a more interesting game.

rvasay said...

I love baseball games especially
professional ones! they are so fun!
I love you MOM

Natalie Scott said...

I'm with Smelly. It's the atmosphere that makes the experience fun (and what an atmosphere it was for you, eh?). But I agree with you. Baseball is SO VERY boring (in my opinion). I remember watching Clark's games and just hanging around looking at people till it was his turn to bat. I also remember wondering why they couldn't just cut the game down a few innings...I mean do we need to sit here for hours and hours and hours when we could wrap it up in just one?

Natalie Scott said...

p.s. Why are there no pictures of ME on your blog? Why doesn't your sisters picture say me and SOME of my sisters? I'm offended you're pretending I don't exist. Sniff.

megship said...

Baseball. Boring. Your jacket. I must have it. Is it Calle? Seriously. I must own it.

Courtney said...

Yes, the jacket is CALLE. Interested? There are quite a few really cool jackets that are coming out.

Natalie Scott said...

I guess the whole family will do, thank you for including me on your blog. Now I can sleep at night. ;)

Really, though, Court...I was kidding! I think.

Annie Gooch said...

Seriously, I love how everyone's first thought was how cute the Calle jackets were. I love them! Way to go Calle! Josh should be proud. Back to the baseball game. When I go to games I fathom about the fact that baseball players have such large bums. Anyways, I'm glad it was entertaining for you both.

Shelli said...

The only reason to attend a baseball game is to make fun of the drunks. And that's the truth of it. I wonder how the Padre fans compare to the Reds fans in terms of alcohol consumption.

cameo said...

Hmm, not just a cute jacket but a HOT pic of you. Love the dialogue, especially the first one. You are having way too much over there in Cali! Boy Jeremy would love to move back there.

Brett said...

There's no one better to have a conversation with than a drunk. They're just pure entertainment.