Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I don't know what it is, but when I get hungry, I morph into a slobbering beast. Seriously. The second my stomach recognizes a slight variance from being stuffed full, my inner Mr. Hyde emerges and wreaks havoc on any unsuspecting and suspecting victims alike. Today was no different. I walked through the door after work, went straight to the fridge, snarled at Josh to never look at me again let alone think about talking to me, and began the soothing process of eating spaghetti until my stomach bloated to the nice, comfortable size of a large truck wheel (I exaggerate not; my stomach might as well be ripped off my body and used as some kind of flotation device). But thats the problem with us Asay's (you'll find that in my family, if one acquires an undesirable characteristic, its easily excused with, "Its because I'm an Asay..." and followed with, "...I can't help it." Seriously. Once I complained to my mom about my shoes not matching right and she said it was because I was an Asay and that I couldn't help it. I asked her what that had to do with anything, that my shoes not matching my outfit was because they were black and my belt was brown. She replied that I wouldn't understand such things because I'm an Asay and that I really can't help it.). We eat until our body goes numb and we near unconsciousness; its sort of like a trance. I would agree that it could be described as pathetic, but we're Asays and we can't help it! Lay off!

I am sometimes able to disguise my utter hatred for anything human in such a state of hunger, but rarely. I would have tried to disguise my hunger-beast today, but I think that since I went on a grandma walk (I take walks during lunch to keep from sitting down all day. Josh calls them my 'grandma walks.'), I was extra hungry. Yeah, walking around in bubble gum colored scrubs around a park makes me really hungry. Although, I don't know if you can accurately call them 'grandma walks,' since the other grandma in the office just got her eyes done and a neck lift. She doesn't look much like a grandma now... maybe I am the only grandma. Maybe I should get a neck lift to compete with her. Maybe I should get my eyes done, ears tucked, lipo, lip injections, tummy-tuck, and implants all in the name of trying to look 25 when I'm 90. She isn't 90, more like 65. I think she looks 64 now.

Josh just did an impression of me, calling me 'a bear that almost ate his arm off.' He then asked if he should move the couch or if I was interested in eating that too. Not like he can talk. He becomes a beast as well, but never seems to be able to recognize that it happens when he's hungry. Now he just did an impression of what I looked like while eating. A lot of snarling, drooling, eyes rolling into the back of the head, and fist pumping was involved. Some things are below the belt... especially when I wasn't in my right mind and am an Asay and can't help it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blair hates the "I'm an Asay" excuse. But what am I to do? As an Asay, I feel like it is my inherent duty to blame all problems on my genes. It's a very Asay thing to blame everything on being Asay.

rvasay said...

I also blame all weaknesses on being an Asay. The only thing is I do not
have Asay blood running through my veins like you all do. Therefore I have no weaknesses!(haha) I have to say the "Asay" genes made you all pretty smart and cute. Your funny side you got from me! I love you
MOM

Lizzie. said...

Oh wow, this whole food explanation describes me perfectly. I have the same inner beast that emerges when I am hungry. The guy I used to date would always get annoyed with me because I was so hungry and I would bite his head off if he didn't get me food right then and there. Good to know that there are other people in the world struggling with the same thing.

megship said...

Oh man, Ty is so scared of me when I am hungry. He generally just starts throwing anything edible at me and slowly moving away from me. Guess what...my kids are the same way. I do the same with them. I throw pieces of cheese and cracker crumbs at them quite frequently.

Natalie Scott said...

I'm exactly the same way. Overly tired? No problem. Super stressed? No biggie. Hungry? Watch OUT!!

Ryan is always the one to remind me "oh you're such an Asay." Easy for him to say...just cus he can go without food for a week, I always tell him "at least I'm not a Scott!" Oh, wait, that would be good. Then I wouldn't morph into an ugly beast each time a little growl escapes my belly.

But, y'know, we can't help it.

Natalie Scott said...

And by the way, the shoe matching thing? That's NOT Asay, that's LANE. Mom's always trying to blame the Asay side for everything! :)

Brett said...

I have to say Courtney, that it is a very rare trait. I work with some very large people (We're talking well into the 300 if not 400 pound range) and they marvel and are shocked when I can put down a full meal with appetizers and five or six glasses of coke and then top it all off with desserts that carry such names as "The Great Wall of chocolate", which I don't share by the way. So the "I'm an Asay" excuse is very valid and use it until your death bed. I mean, what other family goes from start to finish on Thanksgiving dinner in fifteen minutes, that's including dessert. I'd like to hope that we get a little leeway in heaven for being an Asay.

Haylee said...

I have to say, even just growing up with the asays did make it a little harder for me to be socially acceptable in my family. When sitting at the table with a completely clean plate, while the rest of the family had just begun, I'll I could say was, "I eat with the asays a lot." Which is also something that has stayed with me through later years. Jon nearly left me in Europe when we went with his family because having to eat every 2 hours, especially with all the walking, was eating us completely out of house and home. I hate causing debt with my eating habits. But, it is much worse if I don't eat... trust me. I can get pretty emotional in a wide array of emotions when hungry. mostly pure anger and annoyance.

Betsy Lee said...

haha! That's me when it comes to sleep! Wake me up and I turn into the spawn of satan! Eating I can do without. I just get weak. But wake me up, and you better watch out! Which isn't such a good thing when having kids around. :\

Katie said...

I want to see you in your bubble gum colored scrubs. I wish I got to wear scrubs to work. Awesome! Also, I guess it's a good thing I always kept food at my desk at work. You were always happy to see me and rarely tried to eat me, now I know why.

Mann's said...

You are hilarious!!! I loved finding and reading your blog. Where are you now? I haven't seen you in a LONG TIME! Anyway, you are still as cute as ever!

Ashlie (Fitch) Mann