Thursday, September 30, 2010

New shoes

Remember when I mentioned the Asay weirdness and that Rip is definitely afflicted with it? Well, he is. And today was further evidence of that fact.

Rip only wears those Robeez shoes. You know, the soft-soled ones that are kind of like slipperish things? Well, anyway, since he walks now and the weather is going to start getting cold, I decided to spend my birthday gift card on some new shoes for the little cretin. So off we went with my mom in tow, to the real happiest place on earth (Disneyland is definitely not that place) -
Nordstrom.

With so many ridiculously cute shoes, I had a hard time picking some but settled on some lime green pumas. Let's just say, they're probably the cutest shoes I've ever seen and I would easily have no problem wearing them myself. Anyway, I find this amazing shoes and put them on Rip. I wasn't too surprised he refused to stand in them, let alone walk. He was used to a moccasin-like shoe, so anything with real soles would naturally be confusing. We all laughed a little, looking how adorable he looked in his cute shoes. But after 10 minutes or so of Rip buckling his fat little legs underneath him and flat out refusing to stand on the incredible shoes, I started to lose patience.
"Seriously? I mean, seriously? Are you suddenly paralyzed? You forget how to walk?" I was so mad 20 minutes later when he was still plopped down on the ground like a 4 month old. He wouldn't even crawl. Both my mom and the sales lady assured me he would inevitably get used to the new shoes and walk again. I'm not so sure.

I brought psycho baby home and tried to get Josh to coax him to walk. Nope. I made Josh show him while he put his own shoes. Nothing. I even tried to lure him with treats, chocolate milk, a balloon, etc. etc. etc. Zip. After screaming, "What is wrong with you?!!" 17 times, Rip managed to cry. He pulled at the Velcro desperately, sure that the shoes were breaking his legs. No Rip. The only thing likely to break your legs is me if you don't start walking in those awesome shoes. I told him that, and yet he still refused to walk.

A whole day later, the kid is still not walking in his shoes. And yes, I made him wear them the entire day, sure he would eventually give up and walk. Nope. Here is a picture depicting what he did most of the day. Nothing. Lots of crying and whining with a whole lot of sitting.

I'm pretty sure he's doing it to drive me crazy. I initially thought he was concerned about the feel of the shoes. Now I know he's doing it out of will and spite. I'm starting to admire his determination, until I look at those green shoes sitting on his useless legs, and then I get mad all over again.

14 comments:

Natalie Scott said...

Not worth the frustration, Court. Put the poor boy's Robeez on and take the awesome shoes back! Oh. That's just what I would do I guess. Then I'd go find myself something cute with the $, because seriously? SO much more important for you to look cute than the kid.

Unknown said...

Too funny! I'm snorting into my Dr. Pepper. Stick with it. Don't let him win or it will create a hole in your mother armor which he will exploit for the rest of his life!

megship said...

Okay, so the shoes really are the cutest shoes I have ever seen. Take them back and get YOUR size in them. I am excited to see him tomorrow, not walking around.

Colin, Jamie and Presley Kent said...

You're picking the wrong battle. Just let him wear his freaking Robeez!! You should just move back to California where Rip can be barefoot all year round! Maybelle hasn't worn shoes a day in her life, but that's probably because her feet are too fat to fit into any. We miss you guys! Congrats on another boy!!

Kim G said...

He is so adorable!! He is a little boy now and all Asay. Love his shoes, he'll get the hang of it.

M said...

Do let us know what you do about Rip's insistence on not moving while in those shoes... it could work to your advantage if you an tune out his crying. :)

If you do decide to make a change, I'm with my former boss. Get the shoes for yourself.

Boafer Frog Face said...

Maybe try sticking him in a johnny jumper or something where his legs do not actually need to support his body...if he starts jumping with them on maybe he gets used to the immobilizing sensation the Pumas are having on his formerly free footsies and he will decide to walk.

Or get a group of his peers to sit around and compliment his new footwear...

Or just return them and buy something for you.

Steve said...

Those shoes are awesome. I am so glad you didn't cave in to his wishes cause he will appreciate it when he's older and sees how cool you made him dress, ha. I miss that kid so much. He is so cute and looks so big.

Diane said...

Andrew hated his first real sole shoes. It appears Andrew and Rip share certain endearing characteristics - psychoness for one.

Dayna said...

So...it looks like your little one will have a best friend to get into trouble with. Yup, Vinny will be ready to party March 4th.

Trina said...

That's so funny! Isn't it awesome, how determined ans stubborn they can be, so soon!

Haylee said...

whoa!! He looks old and like a real little boy in those shoes. He might be stubborn, but I know someone even more stubborn!! I know you can beat him. Make him wear those shoes until he loves them so much he wants to sleep in them!! muhaha! awe, I love rip!!

LaLa said...

This is just his way of telling you he doesn't like living in Utah. Move back to California for crying out loud and he'll walk in those shoes. Plus he'll be able to be with one of his favorite people on earth apparantly. Uncle Jeff!

Frazier Family said...

I really don't have any advise for you on that one. My boys LOVE shoes. It's almost annoying in the opposite way. They HAVE to have matching shoes and my Fox will SCREAM if I take his shoes off of him. Ever. He wants to sleep in them. Let's get the boys together and maybe find a happy medium.