Sunday, October 17, 2010

Nice genetics!

Someone should have told me. Yes, definitely. Someone should have told me that whatever bugs you most about your spouse, your kids will inevitably inherit those same aggravating traits.

Take Josh for instance. He has a horrible gag reflex when anything (i.e. toothbrush) goes too far into his mouth. This, like many of Josh's 'cute' peculiarities, irritates me to no end. So naturally, Rip inherited this. Rip barfs regularly and for no other apparent reason than he stuck his fat little fingers in his mouth. He has an impressive two teeth and he likes to feel them on occasion. This inevitably leads to a vomit attack. Awesome. Spontaneous vomit. Many a night I go into Rippy's room to check on him before I go to bed, only to be greeted by the ranking smell of puke. Josh thinks it's child abuse, but I usually just let him sleep in it until morning. Hey. It doesn't bother him, it doesn't bother me... until I have to clean up dried up puke in the morning. Then it bothers me a lot.

And what about Rip's disinterest in food. I mean, the kid can't be mine since he is most definitely not motivated by food. He likes a snack here and there, but he really is not a great eater and has no real passion for eating. Neither does Josh. Josh is a good eater and eats most everything, but the guy forgets to eat sometimes. Really? I never knew that was possible until I married him. I plan my schedule around mealtimes and even go so far as to plan what that mealtime will entail (yes, I'm disgusting). It drives me absolutely insane when Josh doesn't get excited for good food. He eats quite a bit, but there isn't that intensity and passion that true eaters have. I have it. Rip does not. Josh has failed me. Sometimes I get excited for Rip to try something truly spectacular, only to have him push it out of his mouth, throw it on the floor, and look at me expectantly like, "What else? Got any goldfish crackers?"

But Josh isn't the only one to blame for crappy genetics. I have man child hands (small like a child and masculine like a man, hence, man child hands). My fingers are double jointed as well and so when I point with my pointer finger (index finger?), it sort of bends down. Rip's does the same thing. And his fingers are sausagy like mine. Really. Nice genetics. It doesn't help that Rip is a caveman and rather than trying to use real words he points to everything. He points with his sausage finger and I retrieve what he points at. We have a system.

Ultimately, I think someone should be out there informing the masses that you really need to consider your spouses 'quirks,' because you will be dealing with them in multiples. I know if someone had told me I'm going to have a family of barfies, I might really have reconsidered. Probably not since not many guys would find double-jointed man child hands attractive. I'm not sure Josh does either, but it's a trade off for me putting up with his getting queasy every time he brushes his teeth.

9 comments:

Angie said...

Klane also forgets to eat and it is infuriating. I can't get it out of my head, and he can just forget about it all day. I totally relate to you on that one!

Brooke said...

I swear I've heard you refer to "man child hands" before! Only you would come up with that!!

I don't think I've read your blog or a comment on my blog from you without laughing! Probably because I can totally relate to most of the things you talk about and most moms probably can, they just don't dare to say anything!! I love it!

megship said...

Your hand are rather disgusting...too bad you didn't inherit beautiful, long and skinny fingers like mine..I am gonna start calling you and Rip Shrek and Fiona.

Dayna said...

You and I are ONE with the whole food thing. I absolutely NEVER forget to eat and I definitely plan my meals mentally ahead of time the day before. I love good food and will not waste my time eating something not worthwhile.

Dayna said...

ps. man hands?? steve teases my hands all the time. they are crooked. my pointers don't point straight and steve loves to tease me for it all.the.time.

Kim G said...

It's hard for me to understand people that forget to eat. I have never forgotten to eat in my entire life. Like you i plan things around mealtimes. If I will be leaving the house around 11 and I know I am going to be out and not around food, I will bring my snacks of course. I fear hunger actually.

Trina said...

That was too funny! I should sit down and make a list too.
At least you hands are probably smaller than Josh's. Unlike mine and Scott's, they're pretty much the same size. I sometimes wonder if he wishes that I was smaller than him, or he was bigger than me, ro whatever!

Dayna said...

answer me this.

what is your email?

when is your due date?

i expect a response in the next 24 hours.

OR DIE.

Bobbi said...

Courtney, David is the same way about forgetting to eat. He does it all the time and even had major uproar on a project in Boston when he forgot to arrange to feed all the people working...maybe multiple times. I have your genes.