Monday, June 29, 2009

Average

I've been in Utah for a while and it was awesome. I'd give you (whoever 'you' is/are/whatever-is-grammatically-correct...) a rundown, but that would take a lot of time and I'm too busy doing other stuff like not folding laundry and not putting dishes in the dishwasher (did I ever tell you that I had once made a promise to never leave dishes in the sink once I had a dishwasher? Let's just call it being naive...). Just know that it was all I ever dreamed of and more. Yeah. Magical.

Now, on to more pressing issues like how I can manage to punch a patient in the face without actually getting arrested...

It occurred to me today that the average human being is a complete moron when I was confronted by an average human being at work. This average human being had been in the orthodontic office not two weeks ago when I met with her and helped her through her contract and fee estimate. She had signed everything and was walked through all the details -insurance agreements, possible additional charges, etc.- and seemed to grasp the general idea of it all. Well, apparently not, since she walked back in today and notified me that she would be unable to pay the treatment fee but was still interested in starting treatment. I sat there, confused (being an average human being myself entitles me to such moments of absolute confusion), and trying to grasp the true meaning of what she was saying. She explained to me again, that she would be unable to afford what we had quoted her for treatment, but that she was still planning on coming in for the appointment to get her braces on. I was still stupefied, and so I told her I would have to get back to her. Her reply: "Okay, but try calling after 1pm. I have a massage right before then." She then proceeded to drive away in her brand new car (no kidding; the license was still the dealership one).

Now, I may be average but I have a pretty good idea that massages and new cars cost money. After stewing in my own bewilderment, I concluded that we could not give her braces for free and I will tell her promptly after she is done with her massage. After I punch her in the face, that is. I smart.

5 comments:

Jesse and Kimmie said...

I would love to be there when she comes back and you tell her that she won't be getting any braces. You should tell her that you did some calculations and that if she would stop going to the massage parlor for x amount of months she could use the money she saved to get her braces :)haha!

cameo said...

I don't understand those people! One day I was out at the drinking fountain and I saw this guy pull up on this brand new BMW. I went up to the receptionists and said "I bet this guy is going to come up here for a bankruptcy case." And guess what...he did. Seriously people.

Boafer Frog Face said...

Thanks Obama...and our entitlement minded society in which everyone "deserves" to get everything they want regardless of ability to pay. Can you really blame her? Our govt. is spending trillions of dollars that they do not have and will not be able to pay back...why should she behave any differently?

Haylee said...

Oh man, I work with the average people every day in my line of work, and there are moments when I pretty much have flames bursting from my head because of how angry or annoyed I am. And what is it with people trying to get things for free, "Hi, I really need to get my degree and go to college, do you guys have anything where I would not have to pay tuition, like a help grant or something?" That was a true call I got once. People are unbelievable. Oh, and did I also mention that I have had to talk to students named sparkle, princess, wyvonnie, lovely, and dipti... there are more, but those are a few of the worse ones. Miss you already!

megship said...

Duh.