Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wealth

I've been thinking a lot about wealth these days. Not because I'm particularly wealthy (although when you think of wealth as something other than monetary abundance, than I know myself to be extremely wealthy), but because I live in a place surrounded by it. Wealth can be a blessing, but it seems to be more a burden than anything else.

After spending a weekend watching the kids of some obscenely wealthy people, I decided I would never in a million years want anything close to what they have. It seems too much work, and way too hard to keep your kids grounded. "No honey. We can't take daddy's jet tonight to see High School Musical Live in London. You have tennis lessons." I think being a parent will be hard enough without the difficulty trying to teach your kids that they aren't better than little Suzy down the road just because she doesn't wear True Religion jeans (although it doesn't seem likely that that would be a problem in these neighborhoods; Phil Mickelson the golfer lives on the street). I just don't want that, and most likely won't have to worry about that, but still. Being in their beautiful home only made me want to hurry home to my tiny casita, although Josh was pretty smitten with their virtual reality golf. It is pretty amazing. I think he golfed all 18 holes.

8 comments:

Jesse and Kimmie said...

Do you nanny for these people of was this a one time thing? It is so true though, it would be hard to keep your kids rounded and humble after having all those possessions.

cameo said...

I love the little situation you came up with...unless that whole jet to London thing was real? Yeah, money sucks, you kind of have to think so when you don't have it. But really, I agree with you. I hate it when rich people dont realize what life is really like for those of us who work hard to just pay for mortgage and food. Jeremy wants to know if Phil Mickelson really lives on your street...

Betsy Lee said...

I agree. IF I'm ever rich I don't even want my kids to know so they don't revolve around it. We babysat for an insanely rich couple too a few times and I kid you not, one of the times they were taking their new jet (not the older POS jet) to Las Vegas on a whim. One of the little girls was 6 yrs old and was asking me why my diamond on my ring was so small, and told me about how her mommy's was much bigger. Gah! What a thing for a 6 yr old to compare! lol

megship said...

Good call, Court. Why didn't you tell me about this little experience? I didn't know you were doing that! Ok, Phil Mickelson? Seriously. Ty wants to fly out to stare at him. Wealth is overrated. If you have it and raise your kids in a normal way, then fine, but if you handle it another way, you can mess up your kid and society to boot! Did that make any sense?

Natalie Scott said...

Wealth can be more dangerous than poverty for sure. I hope to always keep my children grounded, no matter what our income...so far it's been nice to not have much of a choice.;)

I don't even know what true religion jeans are, let alone my kids. In fact, they're totally unaware of any brand name anything. Unless you count "Target" brand.

Shelli said...

My kids will be better than your kids...but don't worry, we'll let Baby Robbins ride in our fancy jet to London. Even if they do have soccer lessons.

Haylee said...

yeah... I hate wealth...not. but I don't want to be super rich, just sufficient for our needs AND some wants. But I am with ya

Frazier Family said...

Courtney! I found your blog :) Hope that's ok. Send me an email and I'll invite you to ours. boofrazier@gmail.com Hope you are doing well. love~boo