Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Denim Grandma

Today I went to cash a check at the local Wells Fargo and was feeling fairly pleasant (real shocker, I know; I'm almost as shocked as you are), and saw a little grandma leaving the bank. I couldn't help but notice that this certain little grandma was wearing a denim shirt/jacket thing, and had a purse to match! I smiled at her, and told her what a cute lady she was for matching her jacket to her purse. You would have thought I told her that she really does have the best grandkids in the world (her car had a bumper sticker claiming to have the world's best grandkids; does it get any better?). With the happiest expersion in the world, she laughed and told me what a wonderful fabric denim is and how it just matches everything, can you believe it! I nodded along and even listened while she explained that she got the purse at Michael's (a crafts store... I'm not sure if she's imlying that she made it...), and she just couldn't remember where she got the jacket. I told her to stay out of the rain and she told me to have a 'wonderful day!'

Now, I learned a few things from this little encounter.

1. I can talk to strangers without wishing I could knock them unconscious.
2. Little grandmas who wear denim jackets will likely have a matching denim purse to go with it. Of course. They come from the era of 'outfits.'
3. The denim grandma probably does have the world's greatest grandkids. Who am I to disagree? For all I know, her grandkids don't cry, poop, or wipe boogers on the wall.
4. Old people can and do like Obama. She had a patriotic flag bow in her gray hair and I can only assume she was showing her support for the country and for the ever adored and completely overrated Obama.
5. Old people use banks just like average-aged people do. In fact, I saw an ancient looking woman in the bank right before I ran into the denim grandma! Imagine! So many older citizens in such a small area!
6. I'm a really good person for complimenting a complete stranger. I undoubtedly will make it to heaven.

7 comments:

Anjanette said...

haha. "the era of outfits."
so incredibly true.

cameo said...

Yes, that was definitely a one way ticket to heaven! You are awesome. I look forward to your blog everyday; okay, every week.

megship said...

I love denim...I am gonna be one of those grandmas.

rvasay said...

I might already be one of those Grandmas because I like outfits that match. Can not wait to see you! I love you MOM

Natalie Scott said...

Denim...YES! What a cute granny.

Brooke said...

Honestly Court, you HAVE to write a book! You are so entertaining and I can picture all these stories going down and taking place. Crazy thing that there is a nugget growing inside of me huh. I'm due July 22nd. Yeah, I'll be a whale in the hottest month of the year. Sweet.

Haylee said...

I wave at strangers and smile, can I get to heaven that way? or does it have to be an actual confrontation where words of kindness are exchanged?