Saturday, October 11, 2008

Yes on Proposition 8

So for those of you who do not live in California (the vast majority of anyone actually reading this...), you are probably not swimming in the Proposition 8 campaign. Lucky you. If proposition 8 doesn't pass, I'm coming to live wherever you live.

What is Proposition 8? It is a proposition that would change the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same sex couples to marry in California. A new section would be added to the constitution stating, "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in Calfornia." Basically, it would take away gay marriage.

But Proposition 8 isn't an anti-gay movement; it's more of what the consequences will be if we continue to legalize gay marriage. So what happens in 10 years when someone says, 'Hey. I'm an adult. I should be able to marry my sister, or maybe my mom. We both consent!' Or what do we say when people start arguing that we should lower the age of consent. That a 15 year old is just as aware of what he wants as the 30 year old that wants to marry him or her? Really people. It is only a matter of time if we don't draw the line somewhere. "California law already grants domestic partners all the rights that a state can grant to a married couple. Gays have a right to their private lives, but not to change the definition of marriage for everyone else."

And what about our rights as parents. "Public schools are already required to teach the role of marriage in society as part of the curriculum, schools will now be required to teach students that gay marriage is the same as traditional marriage, starting with kindergartners."

I am by no means politically aware, but this is an issue that we have been asked as members of the church to care about and to fight for. So I'm caring and I'm fighting ('fighting' being defined as standing on corners holding signs, going door to door, donating money, and spending at least 4 hours a week working on Proposition 8 stuff).

10 comments:

rvasay said...

I am proud to say you are my daughter! go Courtney, Josh and don't forget Clark who is also working on this! I wish I could stand on corners with you---I'm behind you all the way. Love MOM

megship said...

Seriously, you guys are so amazing! I really would have the hardest time doing all the stuff you do. Good for you guys. Good for you for just doing what you are told to do! I know Clark has done stuff too so good for him too. It is really admirable. I am coming to California.....tomorrow!! See you there! I am excited, can you tell?!

Matt Asay said...

Years ago, Jen and I were asked to be the organizers behind Proposition 22 in our Palo Alto neighborhood. Like Proposition 8, Proposition 22 centered on same-sex marriage.

I've never done anything harder, so I feel for you. We had to go door to door in one of the most liberal areas of the country. It's one thing to go door-to-door as a missionary with a message that is absolutely true; it's quite another to go around (as you're doing with Proposition 8) for a message that you probably believe in, but don't fully understand. You just know that your church leaders have asked you to do it, so you do. Issues like this define your faith. It's a super divisive issue and really the only good response is, "I've been asked by my church leaders to do this, so I will, as they have not led me astray in the past."

It's a pure act of faith.

In addition to the areas you mentioned above, I think one of the most serious repercussions is Church ordinances. Whatever what society might think of same-sex marriage, the LDS Church clearly believes it is wrong. As it stands, however, a court could order the Church to perform same-sex marriages in the temple (as I understand it), if same-sex marriage legal. It's similar to how doctors - unless they specifically get out of it on reasons of faith - are trained to perform abortions, because the law allows them.

At any rate, hang in there.

Brooke said...

Good for you guys! Love the picture! Follow this: Dannon's cousin's wife's dad just got called to be in charge of Prop 8 all together! Talk about pressure! They said it the most important thing in his life right now. Thanks for helping and being strong out there! 3 weeks,It's scary to think what could come about in the future.

Brett said...

Ummm.... First, mom that didn't sound very good. As for the latter part of Matt's comment. Are you serious? I don't think the church would do same-sex marriages in the temples. As for proposition 8 . . . Go Courtney!!! and Josh.

Haylee said...

Woo hoo, Court and Josh!!! You guys really do rock. tell me what to do and I will fight it too. I don't know if I could go door to door though... I'm scared, what if someone yelled at me and confronted me. But in the end I do always want to make a stand for the church and for what I believe and since I can't I am counting on you Court! you tell those californians what to vote for just like you told that guy in the movies that you were taking your ice cream in... haha, so funny. You are an inspiration.

Matt Asay said...

Of course the Church wouldn't want to do them, Brett. That was my point. The Church would probably be forced to give up its tax status if it went against a court ruling, or worse. That's why it's a big deal.

LaLa said...

We're humbled to know you, truly.

I must say, we got more honks when you two were standing out on that corner with us. I guess it's the eye candy factor....you...not us.

Stephanie said...

You are a brave gal, seriously - but it's awesome that you're so dedicated. (I think I read a big schpeel on someones blog once that was talking about how actions speak louder than words?...)

Hey, I hope you don't mind if I add you to my blogroll... If you do, let me know and I'll remove you! :)

Julie said...

Hooray for you!! This is Julie Billings, or Collett as you know me ;) I stumbled across your blog thanks to Betsy. We are in the Palo Alto area and I totally understand how big of an issue this is with the Church! I can't believe how much the church has gotten involved with this!!