Friday, August 12, 2011

Here comes a doozy...

Yes, we made it to Ithaca. No, this update will not entail beautiful, scenic pictures of Ithaca or our apartment or Ithaca really at all. That post will come when I actually take pictures of my apartment or Ithaca really. So stay tuned.

Until then, you get to read about the magic that is Rip. He turned two today, and I am here to document that I not only baked him a cake, I frosted a Thomas the train character on it (the kid takes obsession to a whole new level).. I, my friends, am amazing. Here is the said cake. Not that impressive when you compare all the cakes that are on the internet, but considering I have zero artistic ability and or creativity, this is like a serious work of art. This is comparable to when monkeys paint a circle or something.

And most importantly, it tasted good too. You can begin worshiping me now.

So like I mentioned before, Rip turned two today. Man. I would say it's gone by fast and all those cliche type things you're supposed to say in order to even pretend to be a good mom, but it really hasn't. I honestly feel like we've had Rip for at least 20 years. That would make him 20. But he's not. He's two. And very much so. Josh comes home and spends 30 minutes with the kid and always says the same thing. "That kid is on one. What is with him tonight?" Uhhh... He's two. And he has our genetics. Bad combination.

In spite of bad genes and being two, Rip is incredibly fun. Somewhat bizarre, he does and sort of says (he only talks a little) the funniest things. He's basically crazy. The phrase, 'Easy Psychopath!' usually comes out of my mouth at least 14 times a day. Not sure what the consequence for that will be...

Rippy the two year old. Here are some of his likes:

  • Trains. Not just a little, not just a lot, but an extremely frightening level. 
  • Climbing out of his crib and climbing into Chet's crib in the morning. He likes to show Chet his trains, just in case Chet forgot what they looked like.
  • Bikes. He likes to look at other people's bikes and then cry about how I can't let him steal them.
  • Balloons
  • Hats
  • 'Keck' (aka Chet). Although, if Keck (Josh and I both call Chet, 'Keck' now) approaches one of Rip's trains, Keck becomes less popular. Really, when Keck does anything besides laugh and smile at Rip, Rip is not impressed by him. But if he sees me getting frustrated with Keck, he comes over and hits me. Only he is allowed to abuse Keck, apparently.
These are a few pictures from the last couple of months. I will now begin to narrate.

Dayna took some family pictures for us right before we moved. I know she was busy so a shout out to Dayna is called for. Dayna, you rule. Move to Ithaca. We can stare at wildlife together. I'll post more of these fam pictures later. Just a sneak peek...

Two weeks before we left for Ithaca, we last minute flew to San Diego to see some friends and say goodbye to amazing weather. This was us at the beach. Chet was not impressed. Rip was. But then, Rip loves water. You wouldn't know it from his expression... his constant expression.


So for Rip's birthday we went to a kid science museum thing. It's the same thing as the Children's Discovery thing at Gateway in Salt Lake City. A little old for Rip, but he seemed to still like it. This is him and Nina doing arts and craft. Well, Nina is doing arts and craft and Rip was balancing markers on his head. It's a girl/boy thing.

After the discovery thing we went home for cake and ice cream (remember when I made that amazing Thomas cake? I rule). Here are the two points right after Chet attacked Rip's cake. Rip was ticked.

Oh, and my mom got Rip a train set that he idolizes. He goes ballistic every time Chet glances at it. But we also got Rip a bike which has been wanting since forever. Well, the second he saw the train set the bike took second fiddle. But Chet seems to like it so whatever. It works out. Here is Chet 'riding' Rip's bike. I do like Chet. How could you not like him? Oh yeah. He spent his first 6 months vomiting on everything. He still vomits but not as much. So we love him now.
This is what the porkchop used to look like. Amazing! He doesn't look anything like that now.
Rip feeding one of his trains. He has to have a train to sleep, eat, ride in the car, etc. etc. etc. A train is his constant companion. Now you understand why I call him a psychopath?!!
This is Rip's fort. He loves hiding. So hiding in a fort while he watches Thomas the tank engine?

This is at his cake and ice cream festivity. He loves hats, as I mentioned above. A lot of time he climbs out of his crib and finds his hat and is just playing in his room with his hat on. We think it's hilarious. But then, we're his parents. We think most things he does are hilarious.

Wow. This post is a doozy. I'll post in a few days about Ithaca in general. I'm sure after this marathon entry, you'll remember why you don't actually like me. So maybe you don't care about what my apartment looks like or what across the street entails. Well, my mom does. So deal with it.

11 comments:

M said...

Just loving your posts Courtney. It's always a good sign when I bust out chuckling a few times throughout and Alex is trying to figure out what I'm doing. Hope to get up to Ithaca & NYC soon. It'd be fun to stop by. (I love Cornell's campus btw - can't wait to go back!) More posts please. :)

megship said...

Ah....Rip is probably screwed up but I love that little man anyway. I have to not think about him cause then I start to hate you and hate Josh even worse for leaving. In fact, I already thought about it and I do in fact hate both of you. I only love Rip and Chet. Except when Rip pretends that his trains can eat.

Anjanette said...

I was just talking to James about how I'm nervous that Jackson will start climbing out of his crib & in to Anders'. Have you ever worried that he would land on his little brother? Because I'm pretty concerned about the scene playing out like that in our house.

Anyway.

Happy Birthday to your boy. Glad he's not 20. That means you would have gotten pregnant at like 6 & that's terrifying!

PS. Ithaca? When/why did that happen?

rvasay said...

Finally a new post! I loved it and Rip and Chet could not be cuter. Yes your mother wants pictures of Ithaca and You and Josh and the boys. I am so glad I got that train! we miss you already!

rvasay said...

I also love the cake-----good job!

Dayna said...

My thoughts after reading your post:

THAT CAKE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

I was literally LAUGHING OUT LOUD when I saw the picture of the cake because this VERY morning, Jayne was coloring with her crayons and she specifically asked me to draw her a Thomas Train. She started demanding, so I caved in and came over and drew her the most retarded looking train I have ever seen in my life (I don't draw. not even a little. not at all.). Your cake is a masterpiece! I am seriously very proud of you.

I loved reading this post. I miss you guys so much. Jayne misses Rip and still talks about him on occasion. I'll be sad when she stops talking about him.... but it will only mean that we'll have to come visit you!

I really miss my Rippy. And I really miss Chet (but I miss Rippy more... is that wrong?). They are both so freaking cute.

Looking forward to hearing about Ithica.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the shout out.

Matt Asay said...

Why is there a picture of the Hebert Creeper?

Brett said...

It is a nice cake Court, though I don't blame Rip for the train obsession, all kids love Thomas until they don't.

Is that the children's museum in Rochester? I'm sure you'll become intimately familiar with it as time passes.

cameo said...

Man, your posts always make me laugh, so thank you! Sad we didn't see each other again before you left.

And yes, I do worship you.

Angie said...

THAT CAKE WAS AMAZING!

Haylee said...

I think rip is hilarious!! Tell him I want to come play trains with him... If he will let me that is. Maybe he will get ticked if I try to join in... And that cake is amazing!! I am not even sure where you begin with something like that...