Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Robbins Curse

Yup. I'm in one of those moods. You know what mood I'm talking about. That mood where you feel like telling the woman at the grocery store who just smiled at you to go to hell. The mood where your kid is desperately trying to hand you the same book you've already read 40 million times that day and all you want to do is huck that flipping book into a wall as hard as you can, just to get your point across that you absolutely hate Dr. Seuss' Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb book. The mood where you are seriously considering leaving your 18 month old in charge of the 2 month old, geared with a couple of bottles and some spare diapers and a slip of paper letting Child Protective Services know that you'll be back when the kids are potty trained and uninterested in being held 24 hours a day.

Now you might be thinking that this isn't as much a mood, but rather my personality, and you might be right. But regardless, I'm feeling especially irritable today and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that my bathroom is torn apart (Josh was going to re-tile it, found mold, ripped up all the subfloors, midfloors, and whatever else was keeping us from falling into the basement, and is now waiting until Saturday to fix it all), the garage door stopped working and Josh spent last night replacing that, the blinds in the front room got broken and I'm told they can be fixed and not to just buy new ones, and finally, Chet is doing is very best to puke on every last available surface in the entire house (reflux anyone?). I think what it comes down to is that Josh has spent every waking minute working, ripping, fixing, or replacing so I've been left with both kids day in and day out. I'm sort of sick of them.

It doesn't help that the small one seems to always be awake. He takes 30 minute naps and then is livid when I do not tote his small person around, showing him all the wonders that is our house. Needless to say, he spends a lot of time either in the bjorn or crying his little face off because he is not somehow strapped to my body. I've told him to man up, but he doesn't seem to understand. He has taken to trying to talk to me and although sort of cute, I've told him it's pointless since his brother doesn't really talk, I doubt he will either.

The big one isn't any better. He is turning 2 this year and is doing his best to demonstrate what 2 means. Many more dramatic tantrums to come, I'm sure. He is still refusing to speak, but he does use sign language (no, he is not deaf) to communicate. Very likely the reason he does not speak. Oh well.

He also has decided that when I'm carrying baby up the stairs, he is suddenly paralyzed and unable to climb the stairs either. Needless to say, my new exercise routine involves carrying both invalids up the stairs 40 times a day. I should be skinnier, but eating 28 cookies a day seems to be my undoing.

This is from this last Sunday where we blessed Chet. Nice background, I know. Whatever. Just oogle at our incredible family.

16 comments:

Ashli Asay said...

It sounds like you need to leave the boys with Josh and come to Hawaii. You know you're my favorite person to go to Hawaii with!

megship said...

Sigh...wish I could say it gets better. But then you have another one, and another one, etc. I had the same day. We should seriously just swap our younger ones for a few hours to switch things up. My 2 year old talks but also poops and pees all over everything. My baby also wants to be held every second (since she only takes 30 minute cat naps) but weighs in at like 400 pounds.

Our lives suck. Please bring the boys over on Friday so you guys can go out to eat and talk about how you want to abandon your kids.

megship said...

ps. why is Ashli commenting on your blog and never comments on mine? Ashli, you are in trouble.

cameo said...

Logan was the WORST sleeper, refused to ever sleep longer than two hours at a time and never napped (isn't great at that even now,) so I understand. Boy, you are sure making me want to have another one SO BAD!!!

Michelle said...

Can't wait for my next one to come along so I can have a day like that. And I thought it was bad with one.

Brooke said...

Know the mood. I have days like this but I don't even know how to begin writing about it so I'm just going to link this post up to my blog with a "see here".. Us women need breaks or we are going to completely lose our sanity, whats left anyway. I wish husbands understood that.

Brooke said...

I just got an email about the alum game. You going?

Natalie Scott said...

OHMYWORD Chet is such a cutie patootie! Where did you get that little white shirt with the tie sewed in?? So Cute!

Time to turn the reigns over to Josh for a couple of hours. Actually, those are the times when I've decided to learn how to do things like TILE myself, because I'd WAY rather do THAT. :)

Seriously though Court. Make sure you work out a break for yourself because like Meghan said, things don't change much and you'll enjoy everyone so much more if you get those mommy moments, or rather hours, to yourself. One of the reasons I run and go to lunch with my friends.

rvasay said...

Well your little family is very very cute and the boys are pretty handsome guys. Maybe you should go to the park with Megs and use your double stroller. Wish I were there to help. I will try to hurry home! Sorry I'm not much help but all I can say it does get better but you will have to wait until after the teen years! haha
Keep a sense of humor. I love you MOM and ps Meghan Ashli doesn't probably know you even have a blog because of your dumb private thing!

Brooke said...

I'm still debating. Walk around on the field is exactly what I'd be doing. I've been running in my dreams, does that count? I more just can't handle the fact of a 12 yr old running circles around me. But I would like to see you so maybe I will go. We can stand out there together and make fun of the sad souls to make ourselves feel better ;)

Frazier Family said...

You're still ok. It's when you start acting on the throwing the book across the room that you really need to worry. That was me two days ago except it was a vitamin bottle. Nice. Oh and I did tell someone to go to hell the other day. Man! I am awesome!

LaLa said...

Ah the joys of home ownership and two children in diapers. Hang in there, it should calm down in 17-18 years. Don't you long for the simpler days in my back yard?!?
It was 80 degrees today. Would you and Joshy have been here, we would have fired up the BBQ and had Hot Dog Thursday!
Miss you!

Trina said...

Your boys are cute! And they're going to be the best buddies! They'll have fun running around with my crazy girls and learning all their bad habits!
When do you get here?

Boafer Frog Face said...

Buck up little camper! It could be worse...Josh could work 40-60 hours a week graveyards...and carry 15-18 credits at school...for three years.

I certainly understand your feelings, though Kenra has a much better understanding of them. You are an awesome Mom, and Josh is a great Dad...you will get through this.

Look at Jaydn and Nathan...you have....so...much...to ...sorry I just broke down in sobs...

S.DAY said...

I FREAKING LOVE YOU ALREADY. We only met today but I just had to blog stalk you after we hit it off ;) I can tell from reading this post we're going to be best of friends. Great minds think alike :)
this is shannon from Vinney's baby blessing

S.DAY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.