Monday, February 14, 2011

6 week update

Two things. Well, three, but who's counting?

First, Chet tried to sleep through the night last night, but being the psycho that I am, I woke him up at 5:30 to feed him because I couldn't sleep after 3 am. I just kept sitting there anticipating him waking up but he never did. So I did it for him. I'm furious with myself. I'm feeling pretty confident that Chet will now never sleep through the night due to me confusing his first and final attempt. Hurray for me.

Two, Chet is 6 weeks today (you feel like he should be 4 years old by now, too?) and he has finally started smiling. The past few days he has kind of smiled at me, to which I informed Josh that Chet is really going to like me; I might even be his favorite (Rip very much favors Josh; real wonder there). Well, Chet looks at me lovingly most of the time (if you count a blank scowl a look of love), and so I figure Rip will love Josh most while Chet will love me most. I discovered that I am horribly off on that, as I am with most things. I was trying to feed Chet and he was trying to stare adoringly at Rip. He then did his best to win Rip over by smiling repeatedly at him. I couldn't believe it. I mean, seriously? You love the guy who has almost crushed your little head about 50 times in the last 24 hours? But it's true. Chet seems quite interested (as interested as a 6 week old can be) in his older and more experienced brother. So here is the order of things. Chet loves Rip, who loves Josh, who loves Rip and Chet. I hate being the only odd man out. Maybe I'll adopt a fish or something.

Third thing is that I am starting to like Chet. Rip hit the 6 month mark and I started liking him. Chet is only 6 weeks and I think I like him. Wonder of wonders! It's probably a combination of me being more prepared and Chet being more likable. I mean, even though he has only sort of smiled at me, I'm pretty sure he likes me. And not just because I'm his 'lunchbox' as my mom describes it, but because he appreciates me for not killing him the first 3 weeks of his life. You're welcome, Chet.

So that's about it. I like Chet, Chet likes Rip, and Rip has not stopped 'patting' Chet's bum since he saw me burping him this morning and is in love with the idea of an acceptable form of hitting. He starts getting a little aggressive after a while so I have to keep an eye on Rip's bum patting. It does make me laugh, though and Chet doesn't seem to mind, either. We have so much fun at our house. Contain your jealousy.

7 comments:

cameo said...

You almost make me feel ready for another one. ALMOST.

Anjanette said...

Isn't it funny how they seem to know that they are suppose to admire their older brother? Seriously, how does that happen when older brother seems to ignore/hurt younger brother most of the time?

ashli said...

You made me laugh, a lot! I hate it when I am awake anticipating Harris waking up- ugh!

rvasay said...

Isn't Rip the one in Chet's face the most ? Of course he will love him--they are pals forever!

megship said...

I think that Rip loves ME the most since I get numerous calls from him daily.

Natalie Scott said...

Hey, he just wants to "help" with the burping, OK? He in no way thinks he's "hitting." He's just trying to help!

Right now I wish Sam was 6 weeks old again...he threw the girls entire bowl of beads across the kitchen floor this morning. It made me very happy. I love this age.

Dayna said...

haha reading this made me laugh.

laugh.

that is big steps at the magleby home right now.

(ok so maybe i'm being a little melodramatic)

thanks for hearing me out today. you are like the wise older sister with two babies i never had.