Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Jolley Robbins

This is our coed indoor soccer team. The name, Jolley Robbins, means exactly what it says. This team has Jolleys and it has Robbins. Three of Josh's sisters play on it, with two of their husbands, and then a couple of brother-in-law's brothers. It was really fun, only I would leave each and every game completely humiliated by my behavior.

See, I've become that girl. The girl who loses her temper and is screaming at guys twice her size. I have even punched a guy in the back... after the game, when we were shaking hands. I've told many a refs that they are nightmares. I've been honestly ready and willing to get in multiple fights with any number of male opponents. I have no filter and absolutely no control over what I say and who I say it to.

So why should last night be any different? Well, it wasn't. I always start a game making promises to myself that I'm going to remain human and not fly off the handle. No such luck. I didn't just 'fly off the handle.' I ran at a full sprint away from it, never to return.

Idiot defender guy: "Oh give me a break. Tell that girl to relax" (referring to my sister-in-law, Karen)

Idiot Goal Keeper: "Seriously. She's out of control!"

Me: "Why don't you both just shut your freaking mouths?"

Idiot defender guy: "Oooohhhh..."

Booty Shorts (girl wearing exceptionally small shorts): "Okay, everyone, it's just a game. Relax."

Me: "Save it Booty Shorts"

Idiot Goal Keeper: "What did she call you?"

Booty Shorts: "Booty shorts"

After the game was over and we're shaking hands....


Booty shorts: "Next time don't comment on what people are wearing"

Me: "Next time, wear clothes that fit you."

And this girl was just some random peacemaking type, who probably hadn't played a lot of soccer and honestly didn't have a pair of soccer shorts, so she opted for the next best thing -shorts that look like underwear. In her defense, she did have pretty amazing legs. Not the point. The point is I told a ref to go back to Mexico, I screamed a number of times at people to shut up, and ultimately, I was hoping beyond hoping that someone would just get in my face so I would have an excuse to punch him or her in the face. The rage that engulfs me during games terrifies me later.

Josh and I were discussing it after the game on our way home. I expressed that I hated the type of player I had become. I never used to lose it like that. I never used to (there may have been a time or two) argue with refs, get in fights with players, or completely forgo any self-respect I might have had and act like a complete lunatic. Josh summed it up perfectly.

"When you used to play to a certain ability, and you never had to say anything because you just let your play and skills speak for you, and you don't necessarily play at that same level you once were capable of, you improvise."

I guess that's what I'm doing. I'm improvising for all those missed passes, crappy shots, and failed one-on-ones. Sad. I wish I could still just be decent instead of having to fight every single person on the field. I don't think my mother-in-law is too impressed.

11 comments:

Colin, Jamie and Presley Kent said...

You are on my list of favorite people under Robbins, and you have been there forever...dork!

Boafer Frog Face said...

"Booty Shorts" that is truly funny...I am going to make sure Brian reads up on this and see if he has further insights into your rather amusing narrative of the game.

You are one of my favorite Robbins as well...in the top 10 at the least!

Anjanette said...

haha. booty shorts.

cameo said...

Oh my goodness, can I PLEASE come to one of your games? I would love to see that! And I can lose it, too. Fortunately, the only sports I play are church sports and I am not playing against guys twice my size.

We still need to meet up. I will be calling you...

megship said...

Funny, cause I am way less competitive and far less aggressive than I once was. Maybe I never had any skill to begin with...

Dayna said...

hahaha i'd love to witness this

Natalie Scott said...

I don't necessarily agree with Josh. I think what's going on is you're a new mom now without an outlet. Those soccer games become your outlet and the adrenaline starts pumping and you just have to get it OUT, y'know?

That's just my opinion and of course I'm NOT speaking from experience. :)

Alyssa/Jo said...

I wanna be a Jolly Robbins!! I don't know how to trash talk though...

Diane said...

Your comment on my blog made me miss you, so I had to come for a visit. Reading your blog made me miss you even more. And yes, you should be kicked out of Utah and back to California!!

Haylee said...

Hahahaha! I'm not going to lie, it does sound like you need to get a grip, but booty shorts is hilarious, and the fact that someone said, "what did she call you?" HAHAHAHA, I wish I could have been there.

Jamie and Lauren said...

Haha- I laughed my head off at that conversation! I wish I could've been there playing with you when that happened. Anyways- now you can get to my blog. It was good to see you today!