Friday, April 17, 2009

Leg cramps?

I just want to mention/gloat that I will be in Hawaii this week, and will return when life here is better than life there (aka 'never').

I also want to report that I am receiving a high number of charlie horses (leg cramps for those of you who are stupid) throughout the nights. A stranger thing I cannot imagine.

Last night's charlie was especially bad. It started with Josh being woken up by a puppy, whining sound around 3:00 in the morning. Confused and concerned, he tried to locate the source of the noise, until he realized it was me. He started asking me repeatedly if I was okay, to which I responded with only more whimpers and whines. The whimpers started to increase in volume, until I finally started screaming out, "It hurts! It hurts! Oh, it hurts!" (the details are hazy to me, since I was half-awake and half-deluded by sheer pain). To this I dramatically finished off by leaping out of bed and falling instead, due to being completely crippled by the magnitude of pain I was experiencing. I started rolling around on the ground, grabbed my mid-section and picked up where I left off with shrieks of, "It hurts! It hurts! Oh, it hurts!" (I'm only slightly dramatic; I attribute it to the fact that my mother was a drama major in college). Josh was half-shrieking himself, fully convinced that I was going into labor. "Courtney! What's happening?! Are you okay? Courtney!!!" Yeah, we're just the kind of people you want in an emergency. Anyway, I finally was coherent enough to tell him that I was having a charlie horse, to which he stopped being concerned and started laughing uncontrollably. I stumbled back to bed and tried to explain the magnitude of the pain, but he couldn't hear me. He was choke/sobbing on his own laughter.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, seriously! I used to get those ALL THE TIME. I think Dad told me once it's because I wasn't getting enough potassium. And it's probably just placebo or something but now I make myself choke down a banana every once in a while (seriously, smushy fruit that comes in its own wrapper of flesh? gross) and I don't get them anymore. The worst is when your toes do it. I insist every time that I need to go to the ER.

Anjanette said...

oh sad. those hurt SO bad! (although not as bad as the sharp pain in my groin. talk about crippling). I always wake James up & make him rub it out and/or make him help me flex my foot since I physically can't do either. That's for the leg cramps, not the knife in my groin (haha).
Good luck with those. They're killer.

Betsy Lee said...

Oh, I hate charlie horses!!! I actually never had one before I got pregnant and I remember one night in the middle of the night (asleep like you described) suddenly feeling this horrible pain in my leg and waking up screaming, just like you described! The only difference was that I had never had a charlie horse before and didn't know what was going on with my leg. Luckily Richard had experience with them and was able to help me get rid of it. It happened a few more times that pregnancy, but I finally learned that it was because I was pointing my toes in my sleep and I trained myself to flex them to stretch instead. Horrible experience, though. Sorry you had to go through it!!!

megship said...

Just another wonderful part of being pregnant...ahhhhh...Have fun in Hawaii. I hope you have 6 leg cramps there.

rvasay said...

I have had leg cramps most of my life. Recently I found the cure. Everyday you drink one glass of water with 1 teas vinegar. You can also drink pickle juice. This is what college football players due to keep from cramping. Do it! It works!
and yes it is a potassium deficiency.
Ah------Hawaii-----enjoy it for me.
My favorite place! I love you MOM

Natalie Scott said...

Yep, another one of those joyful pregnancy symptoms...one of my personal favorites for sure. You can thank mom. Really, though, try to eat some bananas (really does help), flex your feet as soon as you feel it coming on, and get out of bed and WALK on it. It will go away quick.

Btw, have fun in Hawaii with your sore calf. Every time I had one of those charlie horses I was sore for a week afterwards!

Haylee said...

I have had a few of those in my life time, and I am pretty sure I have made a huge scene each time it has happened. Those are VERY painful. Good luck with that. and have so much fun in Hawaii... you should call charlene lui who is living there now.. she always drinks pickle juice the same way we would drink water... it's disgusting, but it might help.

Haylee said...

I have had a few of those in my life time, and I am pretty sure I have made a huge scene each time it has happened. Those are VERY painful. Good luck with that. and have so much fun in Hawaii... you should call charlene lui who is living there now.. she always drinks pickle juice the same way we would drink water... it's disgusting, but it might help.

Katie said...

Seriously, I hated those things. I woke up swearing once, something I've tried to give up since you moved. I got them so often too. I started eating things with more potassium and magnesium in them and they've pretty much gone away so you could give that a try.

Brooke said...

Courtney,
Although I am so sad you are having leg cramps (those hurt like a SOB) I can;t help but here your sarcastic tone of voice, and I must admit I laughed out loud at work while reading your latest post! Congrats on the baby tho! That is really exciting, even if you do hate being preggers!

Loves!
Brooke Thulin

Frazier Family said...

I'm glad I'm not one of those stupid people. I knew what charlie horses were :)

The Becks said...

hey..i saw your blog on Boo Aflecks...congrats on the baby! that's awesome! keep in touch

latands said...

I found this; wasn't hard, so be careful what you write. Anyway, tell Josh that the pain is sooooooooo real and off the scale. He needs to rub your leg as you flex your foot.