Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Joy


Recognize the woman I'm standing next to? Me either.



How about now?



So last Saturday, Josh and I went to a soccer tennis tournament (looked so freaking fun, by the way), where CALLE had a booth. Travis was there with his friend, and we were just talking and hanging out. Well, Jaime, the guy in charge of the whole thing walks over and tells us that Joy Fawcett, "The most decorated female soccer player in the world" is here. Travis replies, "That's great, because Courtney here is her biggest fan!" After Jaime left we laughed for a second, Jaime not realizing that I wouldn't be able to pick out Joy Fawcett from Kobe Bryant (yes, I'm aware Kobe is black and Joy is, well... not). So later that day, Travis left to take his friend home and Josh and I are still just at the booth selling and talking to people. We see Jaime walking toward us towing some woman with her kid. I thought nothing of it, until the words, "Joy, this is Courtney. She's your biggest fan! She would love to meet you!" were uttered. I sat there for a split second, mortified. Really? I knew absolutely nothing about her except that she played for the National Team for some years back. For all I knew, she still played for the US National Team. Anyway, I sort of just laughed and said something awkward like, "Yup. Your biggest fan. I'm a die-hard." She looked vaguely uncomfortable but not nearly as uncomfortable as I felt. So I walked over and proceeded to make 30 minutes of small talk with her. Honestly. 30 minutes. Eventually, she asked if I wanted a picture to which I replied, 'No. Too fat. Don't want to take pictures in the current condition I'm in." She waved away my reserves, obviously just a nervous fan's ramblings, and I took the picture with her and her youngest daugher. So there it is. Me and Joy. Joy and I. We're tight.

8 comments:

The Stones said...

awesome! I love that since you play soccer people think you should know everyone that is famous that plays and their record. Still meeting her still really cool!

Steph said...

you are so funny - i wouldn't know who she was either! not even after you told me her name! so i guess if you didn't want to take a picture with her you probably aren't gonna be posting any belly pics soon from the side are you? when is your due date? PLEASE CALL ME ASAP!!! we need to catch up!

megship said...

Holy cow, that is pretty cool! I used to know who she was! She definitely looks different than I thought she would. You look cute with your little belly, by the way. More pics! Remember when we went to Argentina...

Natalie Scott said...

That's really cool! She looks...older. I don't think I would have recognized her either. Still cool, though. Good job on the 30 minutes small talk! That's the kind of stuff I HATE.

Brooke said...

Way to make us soccer chicks proud. You totally blew that one Court. ;)

Jesse and Kimmie said...

that's awesome that you got to meet her! and by the way, you still look beautiful in your "current condition" so stop refusing to take pictures! :)

Alyssa/Jo said...

Typical Courtney. In the presence of true talent and you didn't even care. Love ya!

Haylee said...

HAHA... that is so cool. I don't really know her either. but if there is anyone famous ever willing to talk to me, I pretty much do immediately become their biggest fan. That rocks that she is wearing a calle shirt. I think if I can see it correctly. How come you didn't get to play in this soccer tennis tourny... if I recall from lahargous class we were pretty good at it. Call me too, I have some stuff I need to tell you and hear.