Wednesday, August 19, 2009

He's Here!!!

Ripkin Joshua Robbins
Born August 12, 2009
8 lbs 8 oz

20 inches
He arrived! I don't really know what to say about the whole experience, other than I'm a firm believer in epidurals. Magic. Sheer magic. After two days of painful and regular contractions, I'd like to be a spokesperson on how amazing an epidural is. I was due to be induced on the 13th, but considering I was having contractions 5 minutes apart pretty regularly, they admitted me. Pretty soon the nurse told me we were ready to start pushing, and after the initial push, she turned to me and said, "You want a C-section?" I told her 'no.' "Well, then you better be planning on pushing a whole lot harder than that." I quickly obeyed and 2 hours later, there was a huge baby blinking at me. I couldn't believe how big he looked to me. I was expecting a low 7 pounder... not so much.
He's kind of a chunk, and after a week, this boy has gained an additional 7 oz, making him just under 9 lbs. He also now measures at 21 1/4 inches, meaning they measured him wrong in the hospital. That or he's the incredible hulk and grows an inch and a quarter in the span of 5 days. Not likely... Anyway, that may not sound like a lot, but considering he gained 5 of those ounces in 2 days, I'd say the fella takes after his mom in the eating category. He likes to eat. He chooses to cry when he is not A) Sleeping or B) Eating while sleeping (we call this sleep-eating; it occurs when he falls asleep while nursing but then pretends to still be interested in eating when someone attempts to move him... such a fun game). We still love him, and as Josh pointed out to me today, "I really like that kid" (referring to his Rip).

On the second night at home, I woke up to find Josh and Rippy snuggled in together, both fast asleep (the cute part being where Rip is sleeping and not crying for more food). It sort of looks like two dudes just hanging out together.

And this is Josh working while gazing at Rip and his chunkiness. I seem to be the only one concerned that he's so chubby so fast. Apparently I make cream with a side of cellulite for milk. Figures.
I really do love this little creature. It was sort of a shock at first, seeing him and knowing I was now responsible for the little being, and it still is a shock, but a rather pleasant one. I think we're going to get along just fine, as long as I keep the milk coming, that is.

24 comments:

Boafer Frog Face said...

Congrats!! He is beautiful, welcome to the fun and exciting world of parenting...it never does any good to tell anyone what to expect and what things will be like...you just have to make your own.

Way to go you two with the emphasis on Cort!

Anjanette said...

What great news! Congrats on little Rip. We are so excited to meet him (Jackson especially). Good luck with everything. He is adorable!

Natalie Scott said...

Ah, I'm so happy to see new-er pictures of the little tike! He's precious, and will just get more and more fun as he gets older. That first little while with your first baby is always a bit of a journey because it is so life-changing, but so worth it!

Keep that healthy milk coming...it'll make you shrink up fast ;)

megship said...

You forgot the part where you told mom to leave you alone! Ha ha ha! That was funny. Anyway, everything about having your first baby is a real shock. And don't worry about his chubbiness. Just do what I told you to do as far as his little thingy is concerned.....

megship said...

p.s. where the crap is the blanket that I made you??????!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, yeah, he is super cute! I love the pictures of him and Josh. So presh. Um, yeah, keep posting pictures of him. Thanks!

Brooke said...

Loved the labor story! I had it easy, pushed 3 times for a few minutes and she was out, sorry don't mean to rub it in! He sure is cute and I love the name! Hope your recovery has gone well;) Time flies when your day/nights are in 3 hour increments! the feeding is a total time suck if you ask me but I guess it's must!

Betsy Lee said...

Aawwww, congratulations!!! What a cute little chunk! I say a big AMEN to your epidural speech! I love epidurals! My sympathy to your 2 hrs of pushing, though. I had to push that long with Keira and boy was that exhausting! I would advise trying a binky, by the way. I was told to just nurse until Keira stopped because she'd tell me when she was done, but she just nursed all the time! I finally figured out that she was just using me as a pacifier, so as soon as I introduced that to her it made things better in the feeding department.

Anyways, congrats again!!!

cameo said...

Yea!!! I've been waiting for pictures! You will be a great mom. He will have major fun every day. Congrats!

Haylee said...

Awe... I love that you named him Ripkin Joshua... that is so cute. They are like two dudes hanging out. I really love that little guy so much, and I haven't even met him. I hope I get to see little rip really soon!

Jesse and Kimmie said...

congrats! I can't believe he is already here! I know it must have been forever for you but i'm going to miss your blog posts where you were sick and tired of being pregnant :) those were always the funniest to me. Maybe i can learn something from you...by the way, if you haven't heard. i'm pregnant! :)

The Stones said...

He is so dang cute Court! So much fun!! CONGRATS!

Amanda & Seth Campbell said...

Congrats Cort he is a cutie. Enjoy every minute of him because time flies by.

Katie said...

Yay pictures. I'm so glad everything went well and that he's here now. He's such a little cutie. And coming from someone else who has the chunkiest kid alive, I think a little chunk is okay. Babies are supposed to be rolly polly. Congratulations!

Brett said...

Congrats Courtney. I'm glad to see that he has more hair than his dad. Enjoy your brand new life. I agree with Chad, so my advice will not be forthcoming. Good Luck!

Alyssa/Jo said...

Congrats! He's been years in the making...so cute! I'm loving the name and loving your take on birth. Josh looks super cute with the little guy. Buds forever!

Amy said...

Yeah for baby Ripkin! And yeah that I found your blog! What an adorable baby boy, I am so happy for you guys! Hey don't you worry about chunkie babies, they really are the best kind. (Olivia was 23 lbs at six months. I know a thing or two about chunkies.) Congratulations and welcome to the world of no sleep. Oddly enough there is nothing better. :)

Amy Laws

Natalie said...

Congrats Court!!! He was the same size as my little guy and mine loves to do the "sleep-eating" as well. Congrats again!

Frazier Family said...

He's perfect! We are firm believers in fat babies AND epidurals. We should go on tour to naturalist moms which I believer are IN SANE! He is really cute and I'm glad he got to you safe and sound.

Clark Asay said...

It would be like two dudes hanging out, except that dudes don't cuddle, so it's more like two girls hanging out.

rvasay said...

Of course i know how cute he really is because I SAW HIM FIRST HAND! He is so cute and you are an adorable Mom and Josh is a good Dad. What more can Rip ask for?! I miss you guys already! I love you MOM

Brooke said...

Congrats Court! I hope one day when i have kids I can look as beautiful as you did after labor! he is adorable too by the way!

Paige n' Kalani said...

Congrats!! He's adorable! Chunk is good! (Wish I could say that about the baby fat that I'M left with!) And I'm with you, epidurals are the ONLY way to go!

The McEwen's said...

Yay, Congrats! He is so adorable, and I must say that you looked quite amazing yourself after having a baby! Also, I completely agree about the magic of epidurals!