Thursday, June 2, 2011

Advice

A word of advice?

If your husband runs up the stairs smiling and explains that he just sold his car and that it won't be a problem because he'll just work from home except maybe once a week, and it will kind of be nice living "the simple life," don't be a fool. There is nothing simple about being stuck at home with two babies for the fifth day in a row. See, he had some blah blah blah blah that he absolutely had to blah blah blah which means blah blah blah blah, which translates into your out of a car. Again. So don't let your husband pretend sharing a car between the two of you is an okay idea. It isn't. We are not pioneers (although I have a sneaking suspicion that pioneers did not have a car, let alone two cars so...). Or when he tells you he sold his car, you can say, "Oh good. Now you're going to take the bus! Go UTA!"

And if your husband decides to work from home every day, be prepared for the following:

  • Interrupted nap times. Husbands, at least mine, is utterly convinced that people enjoy falling asleep to him slamming doors, yelling, laughing boisterously on the phone, and or walking in and out of their rooms.

  • Hopeful lunch requests. Husbands, at least mine, figures I might as well make him lunch, since I'm already feeding two children plus myself. Uhh... no. When you're here and pretending you can't hear the baby crying in his crib, I'm here pretending I can't see you while I'm making lunch.


  • Advice on children?

    If your child begins rolling over, begin mourning. All rolling over means is that they are hereby forfeiting sleeping in order to roll over to the exact side they hate to sleep on (i.e. their back). Nevermind he has been able to roll over for two months, he is just now figuring out the advantages to never sleeping and mom looking at him like she would love nothing more than to leave him in an orphanage in Russia (see absolutely no advantage). I come in to find him screaming on his back, and he opens his bloodshot eyes to find me hovering anxiously over his crib, willing myself not to smother him.

    If your child still only has 4 teeth and will be two in three months, and you've been telling yourself that his crappy eating is due entirely to his lack of teeth, be prepared to be disappointed. It has nothing to do with his teeth and everything to do with his anorexia.

    So other than Chet not sleeping, Rip not eating, and me not having a car, things are pretty blissful around here. We still have not sold our house and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that whenever we show the house, one of the looky loos wakes up Chet and I may or may not give them a look that could sear stone. I'll try to cut back, so long as they take my "One of the kids is asleep downstairs, so maybe just peek in the bedroom quietly and if you wake him up I will literally strangle you right here in front of your Realtor and her weird hair" more seriously. We'll see.

    8 comments:

    Michelle said...

    Ha! I laughed out loud at the lunch advice. So true, so true.

    M said...

    Love you Court! You are awesome.

    megship said...

    Ahhh....this is the life isn't it? Amen to everything you said. Except the teeth thing, my kids are normal and have more than two teeth by the age of two.

    Natalie Scott said...

    Don't worry about the teeth...they'll come in! I'll tell Sam not to show off when we come.

    We had one car for many many years. But I was the boss and decided when I needed the car and for how long. NOT the other way around...moms rule the roost! Didn't Josh get the memo??

    Frazier Family said...

    Nope. No advise. The car thing? Men always seem to try and save money at the expense of a happy wife ;)

    Dayna said...

    its percy, dummy. henry has the long nose. look it up "train genius"!

    Haylee said...

    Oh man, I was laughing pretty hard while reading this... especially the nap part with josh slamming doors. so funny. And that picture of chet's cute face really is so adorable. I love it.

    Anonymous said...

    You need to put some pants on Court and show Josh who's boss. Before I got married, one of the things on my "wish list" was someone who would let me run the show. Don't be such a girl!